In 2008, a few young professionals produced an event that was memorable to all, leaving a lasting impression of the importance of the Capuchins. Year after year the event has proven to be a huge success in raising thousands of dollars support the Capuchin Soup Kitchen. Among the attendees are Capuchin friars, dinner attendees, children of co-chairs, friends, and Detroiters who have been touched by the mission of the Capuchin Soup Kitchen.
Second Helping, is in its seventh year as the afterglow of the annual Support Our Capuchin Kitchen (SOCK) dinner and auction. The afterglow was created as a way to bring the younger Detroit community closer to the heart of the Capuchin Soup Kitchen and everything it does.
The services provided by the Capuchin Soup Kitchen include:
- 2,000 hot meals are frequently served each day at our two locations
- About 300,000 pounds of food distributed per month to families
- About 30,000 articles of clothing given to clients per month
- More than 500 pieces of furniture and appliances given to families each month
- Showers and a change of clothing for up to 30 homeless and poorly housed persons per day
- Jefferson House, a substance abuse treatment program servicing up to 12 indigent men
- A children’s library and art therapy studio serving up to 800 children per month
- A 25,000 square foot urban farm project
Proceeds from Second Helping go directly to the Capuchin Soup Kitchen programs and services. Click here to order your tickets!
For more information, please contact us: